Murder & Manslaughter Defense Attorney Raleigh, NC
Manslaughter and Murder Lawyer in Raleigh, NC
Murder & manslaughter charges can potentially take away your freedom for the rest of your life. The most serious murder charges can even lead to the end of your life. If you or a family member has been charged with murder, or even if you are being investigated for murder, it is important to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney quickly. Your future or the future of your family member, may depend on getting the right legal representation as quickly as possible.
Manslaughter & Murder Charges: What you need to know?
In North Carolina, there are 5 different classifications of murder:
- First degree murder: This charge is for planned or premeditated killing that was intentional
- Second degree murder: This murder charge is not for premeditated or planned killing, but the killing was intentional
- Voluntary manslaughter: This is a killing when the killing is driven by passion and in the heat of the moment, without prior intent
- Involuntary manslaughter: The killing was completely an accident, but was caused by the actions of another person (for example: drunk driving accidents)
- Vehicular manslaughter – Negligent actions lead directly to the death of another person.
Each of these charges can carry different punishments, but there is also a particularly strong burden of proof placed on the state for such serious charges. Even if you or a loved one has been charged with first degree murder, an experienced criminal lawyer will ask important questions about the intent of the killing. Ultimately, John McWilliam will attempt to get the best possible outcome for your case. This can mean a reduction from first degree murder to voluntary manslaughter, or the dropping of the charges altogether. Though there are no guarantees in a murder case, contacting a defense lawyer as soon as you are charged with, or being investigated for, a murder charge, is the best way to protect your rights.
John McWilliam Criminal Defense Lawyer For Murder Charges in Wake County, NC
Building a case and presenting an argument, even with the burden of proof being so stringent on the prosecution, is not an easy job. The sooner we talk to you, the better our chances of securing a better outcome. Whether you have been charged with a drunk driving killing or a first degree murder, we want to represent you in your defense. Contact us online or call us at 919-772-4000 as soon as you or a loved one has been charged with, or are being investigated for, any murder or manslaughter charge.